9.12.08

Its a cold and rainy Tuesday.

I have been in my room studying Turkish literally all day long. I'm not even sure where Ali Mete is... I heard them leaving this morning as I was waking up (around 11 haha) and they haven't come back. And, if they have, they're super quiet upstairs. Maybe I'll actually venture out of my room sometime soon to check the rest of the house.

Yesterday was Kurban Bayram. BabaAnne (Ahmet's mother) came to stay. She and Dilara cooked some amazing food. We got the baby a liiiittle drunk off wine... accidentally. At first, he giggled alot and make funny noises at the table. About 10 minutes later, he layed down on the floor and got super cranky. Another 10 minutes passed and he was ok again. After dinner, I cleaned up the kitchen then sat on the floor crushing walnuts for an hour while I listened to BabaAnne and Dilara talk. It was such a relaxing family day.

After that, I came downstairs and have been studying Turkish since last night. Its pretty complicated. Vocabulary isn't bad, but the word structure is making my head spin. There is a particular consonant changing rule that I finally understand but it terrifies me to think that I'll never actually remember it. The two instances in which a consonant may be changed are:
1. The inital consonant of the suffix may be changed
a. the suffix on a voiced consonant, the first variable consonant appears as "d" or "c".
*for example: uzun (tall) / uzundur (is tall) or cam (glass) / camcı (glass-seller)
b. suffix on voiceless consonant [
ç, f, h, k, p, s, ş, t] appear as "ç" or "t".
*for example: büyük (big) / büyüktür (is big) or balık (fish) / balıkçı (fisherman)
2. Final consonant of the preceding word may be changed. If the final letter is voiceless, it remains unchanged unless followed by a suffixed vowel.
*for example:
balık (fish) / balıkçı (fisherman) / balığı (the fish)
koltuk (armchair) / koltukta (in the armchair) / koltu
ğu (the armchair)

whew. and i haven't even told you about the suffixes yet.
also: i'm currently on lesson 4.... out of 13. my brain hurts.

3 comments:

jwallis said...

can i study turkish so i can read "others" facebook walls? seriously. help me.

also its the holiday tayfun was talking about! were the streets red with sacrifice? did you fall in love with a goat you had a week and then they killed it?

Kelsey said...

you accidentally got a BABY drunk? hahahahaha how does one do that, Anna?
That is exactly the reason I love you.

shayne t! said...

you should try updating more often