4.12.08

livin life in the bul.

Ok. So I live in Istanbul, this is true. BUT this is still my normal life, so there might be days where I don't have much to update about. I won't lie - my average day consists of waking up around 10, lounging around/doing housework/making a quick trip downtown, coming back in time to make Ali Mete lunch around 2/230, then caring for him (park, playing, dinner, bathtime, reading) until he sleeps at 9. Then I hang around my room watching movies until Beste gets home at 11, when we talk and laugh about our days while facebook stalking. When she goes to bed, I sit on skype/AIM and talk to friends (aka Walker) then go to bed and repeat the next day. So I collect things over a week or two to put into a post for you. Lets be honest, I feel this blog will be the new equivalent of me not checking my voicemail or remembering to call anyone back (a frequent complaint when I was in VA).

Hmmm.. updates now. One of my new favorite things to do is play/lose backgammon and smoke nargile (hookah) with Andrea. Its a little dudes club called çinarlti (i think) in Tophane, but they welcome us and let us relax and enjoy. She really kicked my ass last Saturday - the pictures of me pouting are on Facebook already but I'll add them to my site soon. It was brutal, but I came back on the third game. I wish I could blame it on being tired from spending the whole day at Ece's 3rd birthday party... buuuut she was there too. Oh well - I just need to stop being so nice and attack her. (Yes, I've been thinking about it all week... I'm planning my strategy for next game) !!

Monday, I met Beste's booyyyyfriend, Leo. He's precious. The only awkward part about the night was Leo's friend who came with us. It was nice not being a 3rd wheel, buuuut he didn't speak any English so we spent the night communicating through Beste, gestures, and laughing at each other. I'm really learning the value of a common language - however, I'm also learning how to get by successfully without it (not to say I don't intend on learning Turkish... its just interesting how much one can learn about their environment without completely understanding the conversations). My observation skills are much keener now and I appreciate that.

It was a little bizarre going to see a Turkish movie at first, but I'm up for experiencing anything. Again, another situation where I utilized my growing ability to more accurately decipher body language, facial expression, and tone of voice to understand content of conversation. While I completely understood the plot of the movie and picked up on all the situational humor, I spent the majority of the time cataloging the differences between American and Turkish films. So far quite a few things stood out - character roles/development, film quality, camera angles, general cinematography. Granted, all of this could be completely dependent on the movie I saw (Issiz Adam), which is why I need to see many more as well as other genres. Also: part of the movie was filmed on my street. Neato!

Yesterday, Ali Mete and I went with Andrea, her kids, (Ege and Ece) and their mom to a Christmas bazaar at the Hilton. Most of the stuff there was overpriced and basic, but it started to put me in the mood for Saaaanta and Jesus... mostly Santa. Actually, mostly just Christmas decorations. I'm not religious at all so the meaning of December 25th is lost on me, but I do love the cookies and lights. Like on Thanksgiving, it'll be weird to not have all the tradition for the first time in my 23 years. I didn't realize how difficult holidays might be while I'm here, but its not something that will make me come home just yet. :)

I saved the best part of my updates for last. Today, I went to Sultanahmet with Dilara, Ahmet and Ali Mete to look at this site for a potential new restaurant. Its an incredible space on top of a hamam (Turkish bath). It was interesting watching Dilara sort through and combine her creativity and practicality in her head, carefully imagining the finished product in this raw industrial rooftop. After we spent some time examining all the possibilities and taking pictures, Dilara, Ali Mete, and I actually went to the hamam. They say you should do one thing everyday that scares you... well, this was it for me today.

The process: We went into the locker room and stripped down to our undies (no bra... bye bye modest American views), covered in towels, and walked to the bath/steam room. After we got in there, we each wet ourselves down, getting rid of any surface dirt. In the center of the room is a large marble stone, where I laid down and relaxed while Dilara and Ali Mete wandered around the room so he could play in the water. When it was my turn to be... umm... massaged?... I have honestly never felt more uncomfortable. Don't worry, it took me about 10 seconds into the massage to completely relax. First she took a rough mitt and scraped off all the dead skin from my front and back. Rinse. Then the soap comes. So much soap. I'm not quite sure what they use, but it looks like a giant cloth balloon filled with soap. It inflates then she squeezes all the soap out onto you. I was covered in bubbles... complete heaven. She massaged the soap over my body (front and back again). After rinsing, she took me over to the marble basin. I sat on my towel while she washed my hair and face. It was probably one of the most unique experiences of my life and I absolutely loved it. I'm pretty glad they're opening a restaurant on top of this hamam. haha I want all of you to experience this at some point in your lives. Its a tradition in Turkey. Dilara emphasized the standard ceremony - which we didn't actually get to partake in completely because we were pressed for time. Normally, you spent time relaxing, drinking tea, eating food, and completely cleansing. Afterward, you dress in fresh clothes and make yourself presentable. Ahmet was telling me later tonight that it used to be customary for a man to pick his wife only after visiting a hamam because everyone looks at their best (so fresh and so clean!). Next time I go, I'm definitely making sure I have the hours to devote so I can fully take it all in.

Other small things:
1. For all of those keeping track, my dead finger has completely healed. The old nail is gone, leaving behind a new (dented) nail. Its still pretty weird, but, luckily, my scar isn't bad at all. Thank you, Neosporin.
2. Have I mentioned yet that on my way downtown (or home from downtown), I pass a Bentley dealership and a Pfizer plant? ...Camels... haha
3. My new favorite food is lentil soup. Its delicious, nutritious, aaaand I know how to make it. :)
4. I'm going to an R&B/Hip-hop party at Club Airport tomorrow night. I miss rap music and I still love going out on Thursday nights. This should be funnnn.

I feel like I'm forgetting something important, so if it comes to me I'll be sure to include it later. Miss and love love love love!

No comments: