20.11.08

'no potato?'

I had quite a lovely day and I feel like sharing it.

Woke up early (for me) at 9:30am. Shower. Load of laundry (its endless when you have a child). Breakfast with the family - standard toast, cheese, and toast accessories. Bus (intended destination: Eminönü).

Ok. I took the wrong bus... for the first time. Its been almost a month, it was bound to happen. Well, I technically didn't take the "wrong" bus - I just took the scenic route through Taksim. By the time I got on the right bus, an hour had passed and I didn't want to take the time to go all the way to Eminönü just to turn around and come home (I need to by home by 2:00 to prepare lunch for Ali Mete), so I decided a museum might be more appropriate. I headed to Tophane to Istanbul Modern:



















Its free on Thursdays so I think it might be my morning routine once a week. Knowing that, I only visited one exhibit - and because my time was dwindling down and I wanted to eat before going home. It was exactly what I needed to clear my head. I wish I was as creative and inspired as those artists. 40 minutes later, I walked to the bus station next to this















and rode to Ortaköy. I went there yesterday too, because there is a beautiful spot to sit and think... and its close to home. On the walk from the bus stop, there are these really intimidating food stands with guys who yell at you to come eat their food. Yesterday, I did not partake because, to be honest, I was too nervous. My Turkish is really awful and I hate assuming that everyone will speak to me in English. That and they're all really close together and I can't decide which to choose without hurting the other's feelings (seriously, I think about these things). But today, I was on a mission. The whole reason I packed up my comfortable Richmond life and moved 5,000 miles away was to force myself into challenging situations and see what comes of it. But, while I was still hesitant, I walked the back way. (HEY! They all saw me yesterday... I knew they'd remember me!) I pretended to look around at a table of scarves, but out of the corner of my eye I could see the potatoes calling to me. (I haven't had potatoes, not including fries, since I got here and the Irish side of me was getting anxious) I eventually decided on the guy who didn't holler at me as I passed. I think I made a good choice. He spoke 'little English' so I returned the favor and spoke 'little Turkish'. And he made me a grand potato:

(cheese, butter, salt, cabbage, sausage, peas, corn, some mix of stuff, and a little yogurt.)












Delicious. He tried adding ketchup and a bunch of other condiments but I preferred he didn't. They love ketchup and mayonnaise here. I don't think I've seen mustard.... maybe this isn't the country for me. Anyway! I ate my potato, sitting on my favorite bench.
One direction:














Behind me:














Who can complain when you're surrounded by such beauty? (It looks better on a sunny day...) The enjoyment of my potato was enhanced by a vicious cat fight in the plaza:














I finished eating and braved the straight walk to the bus station. I was right. They all remembered me. They all beckoned to me, but I smiled and shook my head saying "teşekkürler". Most of guys smiled and nodded... one said "mamma mia!" and one laughed and said "no potato!?" I actually stopped and turned around to nod and laugh, then I kept on my way - laughing until I reached the bus. I think I'll go to him next time.

After my outing, I went home to make Ali Mete a wonderful lunch of spinach/onions/garlic and corns. Dilara actually complimented me on my culinary skills (but I can't really see how I could mess that up! haha) At 3:30, we set off for Bebek park to meet my new American aupair friend, Andrea, and her 3 year old girl, Ece (pronounced AJ). On the way we passed the Egyptian embassy, currently under construction, and I took one last picture for the day (I'm putting the rest of them on my community webshots site):



















Andrea seems really great. She's here for many of the same reasons as me (I think. I'm still really working out all my reasons in my head). It'll be nice having a friend that is 1. American and 2. in the same situation as me. We're going to a Hookah bar in Tophane on Sunday. I'm sure I'll post pictures.

The rest of the day was business as usual... playing, dinner, puzzles, night walk, bath, and bedtime for bebek. I thought I might get up early again tomorrow and actually make it down to Eminönü, but I think I'll save that for my full day off on Monday.

Ok, I'm going to crawl into bed and watch The Office on my computer. Yes, I'm keeping up. I hear this Business Meeting episode is a good one.

I hope all is well in America... or wherever you're reading this from.
Peace and love.

No comments: